<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 18, 2005

Preying on the Old 

I just got through watching a TV ad on Turner South that got me thinking. Here is a rough paraphrase of the opening lines:
Hi, I'm Bernie Kopell. Many people remember me as Doc from The Love Boat. In fact, I'm often asked for medical advice. While I can't write you a prescription, I can tell you about a product that has helped the health of so many people...
For God's sake.

What I have been thinking about is that fact that this surely must work! I mean, not a day goes by that I don't see some ad for a Medicaid card or motorized scooter endorsed by Mickey Rooney or Art Linkletter.

I just wonder if this is a trend that will continue as baby boomers and even people from younger generations get older. Will I someday think to myself, "Well, if Alan Thicke says this is the vitamin for me, surely he's right. He always seemed to know so much on Growing Pains," as the image of an old, face-lifted ex-celebrity appears on the screen?

I just can only think that as more cynical generations move on, it will be harder and harder to prey on that sense of authority, whether it's in selling drugs and wheelchairs or in selling political views.

I guess that will be the challenge before politicians my age... Just something to ponder on.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?