<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 20, 2005

That's All I Can Stands, And I Can't Stands No More 

DADvocate, whose Web address I can at least agree with, made a comment on a post below that was just too much for me to take. First, take a sec to read his comment - I'm not reposting it to save space. Here's my response:
Al Soreloser"? That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more.

Let me explain it in as clear terms as I can: Al Gore got more votes. He got more votes nationwide, and he got more votes in Florida. Every independent evaluation of the ballots after that election showed that he won, and was robbed of the Presidency. Period. When we look back in 100 years, it will be one of country's great shames.

You shouldn't be worried about the desecration of the Koran because it's the Koran. You should be worried about it because that is the kind of crap that makes these young Arab men go off to madrassas in the first place.

I don't want to make God illegal in school. Far from it. But I want to be damn sure that when I have a kid he/she doesn't get taught the right-wing conservative version of my religion, Christianity, which seems to be the only kind of religion in schools that conservatives find valid.

Democrats don't want Catholics on the court? I'm sure that comes as a pretty damn enormous surprise to say, Ted Kennedy. Or John Kerry. Or any number of Catholic Democrats across the country. To say Democrats are committing religious bigotry is perhaps the silliest meme one could regurgitate. You know what we are trying to avoid? People whose narrow view of Christianity and religion will lead them view a literalist reading of the Old Testament as the filter for judging laws and not the Constitution.

But what troubles me the most about the type of religiously-based politics that today's Republican party seems to back is its basic ignorance of Christ's teachings on poverty, social justice, and love for one another. There is always room for disagreement and interpretation in matters of faith, but I just don't see where opposing a minmum wage increase is doing unto the least of these our brothers what we would do unto Christ.

I don't mind honest disagreement, but when you trot out lines about "banning God" and "not giving a damn about the troops," you fall victim to soundbite politics, practice deception, and cheapen the debate. I won't accept it.
Ok, then.

Comments:
My response is at my site. I'm sure it won't satisfy you but I think we have common ground. Please remember that I am being somewhat subjective as I was trying to explain why I felt myself becoming Republican which I am by no means attached to. Most often I vote third partly as I don't think either party has much worth while to offer. Lately, politics has become all about being in power.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?