<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 03, 2005

This Just In: Dem Announces Run Against Wamp 


I just got a press release from a new Democratic candidate running against Zach Wamp. His name is Terry Stulce. I know not very much at all about the guy, other than that he is an Ooltewah native and currently lives in Cleveland. The release says he's a Vietnam Vet with a master's degree, which is a combination I like.

No breathless endorsement just yet, but this seems promising. The full release follows:
October 3, 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

From: The People's Voice: Of the People, By the People, and For the People

My name is Terry Stulce and I am announcing my candidacy today to seek the Democratic nomination to represent the people of the 3rd Congressional District in the U.S. Congress. I am no politician, nor have I ever had political ambitions, but I will not sit silently as our country is being destroyed by the arrogant incompetence of Bush and his congressional cronies like Zach Wamp.

I have never held office, but I know how to represent the people because I am "of the people". I know what it is like to work at a minimum wage job in a factory. I know what it is like to attend public school, graduating from Snow Hill Elementary, Ooltewah High and the University of Tennessee (1967). The day I graduated from U.T. I was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Army, having attended U.T. on an R.O.T.C. Scholarship and the $20.00 a week my mother sent me from her earnings as a seamstress in a chair manufacturing company.

I know what it's like to be in the thick of battle, as David Hackworth says, to "dance the dance of death" for your country. Only those who wear the Combat Infantryman's Badge know the steps.

I understand every day people because I am one. I am not a career politician like Zach Wamp. I was not born into a rich family nor did I depend on my father to pay my way out of trouble. I attended public school and managed to graduate from the University of Tennessee and eventually earned a Masters degree with the assistance of the G.I. Bill.

Wamp has forgotten that he was elected to represent the people, not special interests and the super rich. He has voted every time he has had the opportunity to give tax breaks to the rich, as 6 million more Americans have slipped into poverty, and the national debt has reached $7.9 trillion. He has voted for hand outs for "Big Oil" companies, "Big Drug" companies, and Halliburton as he has voted against a drug benefit for seniors and supported Bush's attempts to dismantle Social Security. He has supported the disastrous and incompetent foreign policy of George Bush and was a prime mover in initiating the Iraq debacle. He has voted with Tom DeLay to stop an investigation of Halliburton for fraud and war profiteering. In short, Wamp has abandoned the people of the 3rd District and has thrown his lot in with the rich and powerful.

__
Terry Stulce is a life-long resident of Ooltewah and can trace his ancestry back 5 generations in Hamilton County. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude from U.T.K. in 1967 and earned a Master of Science in Social Work in 1974. He served two tours of combat duty in Vietnam, one as a Combat Platoon Leader in the 101st Airborne Division (December, 1967 to September, 1968) and one as a Senior Advisor to the 69th and 79th Border Ranger Battalions (November, 1970 to November 1971). In addition to the Combat Infantryman's Badge, he earned the Bronze Star with "V" device for Valor and the Bronze star for Meritorious Services in Ground Combat.

He and his wife Kate attend Pilgrim Congregational Church where she is in lay ministry training.

They have two children, Dr. Camille Broadway of Arlington, Texas and Jenna Spain of Baltimore, Maryland. Kate and he are Licensed Clinical Social Workers and own Cleveland Family Counseling.
Like I say, good initial impression, and he seems like he is probably not a lunatic, which is something we've been sorely missing the last few times around! Plus, he may make a dent in the more Republican areas of the District as a Bradley County resident.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?